Welcome to the New England chapter of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.
Just like the national organization, our regional chapter is dedicated to the recognition and advancement of Latino/a/x journalists and these foundational goals:
- To organize and provide support for journalists of Latin American descent;
- To encourage and support the study and practice of journalism among Latino/a/x people;
- To promote accurate and fair treatment of Latino/a/x communities by news outlets;
- To further employment opportunities and career development for Latino/a/x journalists;
- To foster understanding of the cultural identity, interests and concerns of Latino/a/x people.
During their leadership, the New England chapter held regular workshops and networking events to help build a sense of community among journalists of Latin American descent in New England.
Our chapter has also worked in partnership with the Boston Association of Black Journalists (BABJ), the New England chapter of the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA), the Boston chapter of the Association of LGBTQ Journalists, as well as SPJ New England.
We will build on the work of the previous executive board and create new initiatives, including:
- Strengthening connections among Latino/a/x journalists and other affinity groups that support our goals;
- Sharing New England job leads and opportunities with our members;
- Hosting workshops and networking events, both virtually and in person;
- Launching an awards program that celebrates the courageous work of Latino/a/x journalists;
- Analyzing coverage of Latino/a/x communities by New England news outlets;
- Surveying members about their experiences in newsrooms;
- Convening a town hall to address our journalists’ concerns.
Want to get involved? Please email us at email@example.com, and stay tuned for new events and chapter activities.
Our 2021-22 New England executive board:
Natalie Benoit, Secretary and VP of Membership
Sabrina Herrera, Director of Engagement