Welcome to the New England chapter of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists
Just like the national organization, our regional chapter is dedicated to the recognition and advancement of Latino/a/x journalists and these foundational goals:
- Organize and provide support for journalists of Latin American descent;
- Encourage and support the study and practice of journalism among Latino/a/x people;
- Promote accurate and fair treatment of Latino/a/x communities by news outlets;
- Further employment opportunities and career development for Latino/a/x journalists;
- Foster understanding of the cultural identity, interests and concerns of Latino/a/x people.
During their leadership, the chapter held workshops and networking events to help build a sense of community among journalists of Latin American descent in New England.
The chapter has also worked in partnership with the Boston Association of Black Journalists (BABJ), the New England chapter of the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA), the Boston chapter of the Association of LGBTQ Journalists, as well as SPJ New England.
We will build on the work of the previous chapter and create new initiatives, including:
- Strengthening connections among Latino/a/x journalists and affinity groups;
- Sharing New England job leads and opportunities with our members;
- Hosting workshops and networking events, both virtually and in person;
- Launching an awards program celebrating the courageous work of Latino/a/x journalists;
- Analyzing coverage of Latino/a/x communities by New England news outlets;
- Surveying members about their experiences in newsrooms;
- Convening a town hall to address our collective concerns.
The 2021-22 New England Executive Board:
Cindy E. Rodríguez, President
Cristela Guerra, Vice President and Director of Professional Development
Vanessa de la Torre, Financial Officer
Natalie Benoit, Secretary and VP of Membership
Sabrina Herrera, Director of Engagement
Want to get involved?
Please email us at email@example.com, and stay tuned for new events and chapter activities.